Social Security Card Evidence Documents

Apply for the Card Now

The Social Security Program was first introduced by the government to its people for the purpose of tracking their earnings as well as the number of years they have worked. One of the many purposes of having a Social Security Number is that you can receive retirement and disability benefits when the time comes.

Every time you get a new job, your new employer will ask for your Social Security Number and will use this to report your income to the Internal Revenue Service or IRS. It will inform the Social Security Administration about your Social Security Wages.

Now and then, there is a need to replace your Social Security Number because of identity theft. Similar to when you first apply for a Social Security Number, there are certain Social Security card evidence documents that you must submit to ensure that you are who you say you are.

Keep in mind that all documents submitted for this process should be in its original state. Furthermore, you can have the option of getting certified copies from the government agency that issued them. Do note that the Social Security Admission do not accept photocopies of these documents. In addition, the documents you submit must be updated or current. Any expired document will not be considered. A receipt showing that you have applied for said document is not sufficient enough to be considered in your application. We are not affiliated with the SSA in any way and they do provide free forms by dealing with them directly. If you don’t want to wait in long lines and traffic we highly recommend you use our application assistant to complete the process from the comfort of your own home

What documents do you need to submit during your Social Security Number application?

Another thing you should take note of when you are applying for a Social Security Number is that at least two documents are necessary to prove your citizenship, age, and identity.


To prove that you are a U.S. citizen, you need to be able to present original copies of your U.S. passport and U.S. birth certificate. Since you need two Social Security card evidence documents for each criterion, you need both of your passport and birth certificate to proceed on to the next steps. There are no other official documents that the Social Security Administration accepts as a means to confirm one’s citizenship.

U.S. Passport

If you do not possess a U.S. passport, you can apply for it. However, applying for a U.S. passport requires you to submit your Social Security Number. In this case, you can provide a sworn statement that you do not possess a U.S. Social Security Number at the time you applied for a U.S. passport.

U.S. Birth Certificate

Your U.S. birth certificate is probably one of the most important documents in your life. This document proves who you are and how old you are. To acquire a U.S. birth certificate, you need to contact the necessary records offices in the state that you were born. As soon as you pay the fees, you can opt to make use of their expedited services or shipping options so that you can get the certified copy as soon as possible. You can also follow these steps if you have lost your original birth certificate.


The main document to check a person’s age is through their U.S. birth certificate. If in any case, you do not have your birth certificate with you, or you have lost it and are in the process of acquiring a certified copy, you can opt to submit any of the following alternatives:

U.S. Passport

Again, your U.S. passport is one of the main documents vital to your Social Security Number application. It can be used to confirm your identity as well as your age. Furthermore, your U.S. passport can also be used as a means to confirm who you are when you are applying for other identification cards.

U.S. Hospital Record of Your Birth

If you contact the hospital that you were born into, you can ask for a certified copy of your birth date. Of course, you need to be able to confirm that you are actually the child who was born into their hospital as they do not simply give random hospital records of birth dates to just about anyone.

Most of the time, you would need the confirmation of your parents to acquire this document. Your parents would then need to provide any piece of identification for security purposes. Thus, they would need to provide either their U.S. passport or birth certificate.

Furthermore, you can also ask for a certified copy of your physician’s record at the time you were born. If you choose to submit a physician’s record, you would need to submit other documents for confirmation as an added layer of security.

Baptismal Record or Any Religious Record Before the Age of 5

Stemming from the previous point, any minor documents submitted would need to be paired up with other documents as an added layer of security. Should you submit a U.S. hospital record of your birth, this would typically be partnered up with any religious record before the age of five. Baptismal record is a good starting point to provide confirmation of your identity.

Here are a few important reminders about age confirmation in seeking any of these documents:

Should someone who is above the age of 12 years old request for a Social Security Number, they would need to appear in person for an interview. The Social Security Administration will ask for evidence that you do not possess a Social Security Number at the time. Here are some of the ways you can provide proof that your Social Security Number was never assigned.

If you lived outside the United States of America

Documents proving that you lived outside the U.S. include any documents showing an extended period of stay in other countries. You can submit your passport, any employment records, or your school identification card.

If you lived within the United States of America

If this is the first time you are applying for a U.S. Social Security Number, the Social Security Administration may ask you for any information concerning the schools you have attended in the country. You may need to submit tax records to show that you were never really assigned any Social Security Number.


There is a recurring theme in applying for a Social Security Number as well as other government-issued identification cards. It is important that the Social Security Administration limits the type of document they can accept when it comes to these kinds of application.

In order for these documents to be accepted, it must be updated and not expired. Some of the elements that are checked by the administration are your name, your age, your place of birth, and a recent photo. Other identification cards that you may possess with these elements may include U.S. driver’s license, state-issued non-driver identification card, or your U.S. passport.

In the unfortunate instance that you have lost these, you can get your replacement card in 10 days. However, to apply for replacement copies of these documents, you would need to submit further documents. Again, always keep in mind that expired Social Security card evidence documents are typically not accepted.

You can submit your employee identification card, school identification card, a health insurance card, or a U.S. military identification card.

Additional notes and reminders in applying for a Social Security Number

The goods news is that you can easily apply for your Social Security card online. Furthermore, it is important that you understand that each process step is crucial. Different documents must be submitted to confirm your citizenship, which can be affected by the type of card you are applying for.

You would need to fill out and print an application form for a Social Security Card along with the necessary documents. You then proceed to mail all of these requirements to your local Social Security office.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202