Using religious records for social security card

Apply for the Card Now

A social security card helps you get the green light for many of life’s most important transactions: new jobs, bank loans, name changes or government services such as Medicaid, Medicare and food stamps. The little blue card with a specific string of numbers linked to you vouches for your identity, age and citizenship.

Applying for social security card after losing yours or having it stolen can be a maddening process, especially when you lack civil documents required for application, like a birth certificate or passport. Fortunately, the Social Security Administration will accept certain religious documents from your church or synagogue. We are not associated with the Social Security office or any other government agency. You can deal with them directly to receive free forms.

Using religious records for social security card

Religious documents can verify birth and biographical information. Families often establish them before or instead of some vital records. They are linked to public, provable events and bear the signatures of ministers or other witnesses.

When applying online for your social security card, you can provide SSA with one of the following original or certified documents as long as it was filed before the applicant turned 5-years-old:

1. A baptismal certificate. This record will list the religious place of baptism, the date, and the age of the person baptized, and the parents.

2. A naming certificate – This certificate is filled out during a formal naming ceremony and lists the congregation, date of birth, parents and city.

3. A cradle roll – This is a record of the youngest church members who are enrolled in Sunday school or church. It lists the date of birth and date of earliest attendance, often established during christening.

4. A Bris certificate – This is a Jewish document that marks the date of a young male’s circumcision. It lists the date of birth, congregation and is signed by a Rabbi.

How to find religious records to apply for your social security card.

If you are seeking church records from the distant past and are no longer affiliated with the sanctuary in question, try to first discover the affiliation: Catholic, Jewish, Baptist, Methodist. Then, try to see if a relative can remember any possible sites. Try these tips:

1. Look in old family Bibles or photo albums for records or hints of the family’s church.

2. Read family obituaries or study old newspapers for birth announcements. These things might list a church name.

Once the church is found:

3. Search online for the church’s database. Many congregations have searchable records online and offer the purchase of records online.

4. Write a letter to the church secretary or call the church office. Most will locate records for free, but a church offering or membership might make workers more inclined to help.

5. If the church no longer exists, contact the headquarters of the denomination. They should have a record repository.

Once you’ve obtained all your documents, it’s easy to apply for your replacement social security card at home from your computer. Do it yourself or seek step-by-step assistance through USA Filing Services. USA can make sure your application is done right and that all your documents are in order. This is especially important if you are using religious records for social security card applications since some records may lack the required data or signatures. USA can double check each record. Also, each customer gets a free month of LifeLock identity protection.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202