Using Your US Passport As Evidence of Age for a Social Security Card

Apply for the Card Now

A Social Security card is necessary for employment among other things in the United States. Citizens are issues a Social Security number and card at birth; although, those cards may need to be replaced if lost or updated because of a name change.

Using US Passport for Social Security Card

To obtain a copy of a Social Security card, citizens must provide proof of identity. Typically, this would be with a state-issued driver’s license or identification card. However, it’s acceptable if you plan on using a US passport for Social Security card acquisition. A person may only have a passport if they have spent some amount of time living outside of the country.

If a person doesn’t have access to any of these documents, they may be able to use a current employee identification card, school ID, health insurance card that is not a Medicaid card, or a U.S. military ID.

Using Your US Passport to Verify Your Age for a Social Security Card

Using US Passport for Social Security card also serves as verification of age. While hospital records or birth certificates may verify age, a passport can also be used if those documents are unavailable.

In addition to Using US Passport for Social Security card, any person over twelve years of age must appear in person for an interview, even though it’s possible to fill out the application online. During this interview, you may be asked to provide information about schools you have attended if you have never before been issued a Social Security number.

While a password can verify both a person’s age and identity, residents are expected to provide at least two different documents to verify. This could be a drivers license and a U.S. passport or a passport and a birth certificate.

The documents must be originals and not photocopies. The only exception is a certified copy by the issuing agency. For instance, a person can get a certified copy of their birth certificate if they have previously lost the original. However, this will be certified and not just a copy of the original.

Petitioners cannot use notarized copies of documents to obtain a Social Security card.

The same documents are required whether a person is getting an original Social Security card or a replacement card. Note that a person is only allowed to replace a Social Security card three times in a single year or ten times in a lifetime.

To obtain a corrected Social Security card because of a name change, petitioners must provide legal proof of name change. This includes marriage certificates, divorce decrees, Certificate of Naturalization, or a court order approving the name change.

Not having the necessary documents will result in a longer wait to obtain your Social Security card, so be sure to arrive prepared. After your application is approved, it typically takes between 10 and 14 days to receive your new Social Security card.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202