Tips On How To Replace Lost or Stolen Social Security Number Fast

Apply for the Card Now

The Social Security card could be one of the most crucial identifications that you could have. Therefore, it would cause great concern if it gets stolen or lost. When this happens, it is important that you immediately act on the matter to minimize the damage it could cost you.

Anyone who possesses your Social Security address and number can gain access to sensitive information about you. This includes your credit card information and financial records. Additionally, identity thieves can cause a mess in case your social security number falls on their hands.

When your card is lost or stolen, there are several steps that must be taken to ensure that sensitive information is secured. You can have it replaced for free through the Social Security Administration website. Also, you can visit the local SSA office near you or you can have it through snail mail.

If you are the type who does not need your social security card and knows its number you could forego all the troubles of getting a new one. This is because no one is required to have the actual SS card if they know their SS number. However, you should consider that some employers might require you to show your social security card at some point.

It is important to note that card replacement is only limited to three within a year and 10 times for the rest of your life. But, there are several exceptions including a change in legal name. Card updates due to changes in immigration status is also another exception.

How To Get New Social Security Card

There are three simple tips that you must do in order to get a new Social Security card.

1. Prepare Your Documentation

You will need to have the original documents or certified copies issued by designated agencies or notarized copies. The required documents are needed to prove the following:


You must show documents that prove your US citizenship. It could be a US passport or a US birth certificate.


You will need a birth certificate to prove your age. Aside from that, you must also show a US passport, US hospital birth record, or a religious record showing the date of birth and made before the age of five years.


You can use your us drivers license as evidence of identity for Social Security card. There are several other identifications that you can use aside from your us drivers license as evidence of identity for Social Security card. This includes an employee ID card, state-issued ID, military ID card, US passport, and health insurance cards.

All of the documents mentioned above must be up to date. The SSA will not accept and honor any expired documents or even receipts bearing that you have applied for it. The documents must show your name, your latest photograph, and several identifying details like your age and birthday.

2. Online Application

You can apply online by filling out the application for the Social Security card. You can also create an account at the SSA website and fill out the application form online.

3. Go to the Nearest SSA Office

Bring your application form along with your original documents to the SSA office near you. If you directly made the application online, the website will bring you right away to a page where you could find the nearest SSA office in your area. You can also submit the application through the online form.

Additional Requirements for Getting a Replacement Social Security Card Online

You can request for a replacement of your Social Security card online if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are a US citizen
  • You are 18 years old and above
  • You have a US mailing address
  • You have a driver’s license or a state-issued ID card

Lost or Stolen Social Security Card

  • Update Your Credit File and Report a Fraud Alert

You may contact three major companies if you want to update your credit file—Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. You only have to contact any of these three agencies since the one you contact will alert all the other two agencies. The alert will be up for 90 days but you have the option to renew it if you feel unsafe.

  • Report to the IRS Social Security Card or Number Theft

This is very crucial since reporting your stolen Social Security number or card to the IRS will prevent the filing of fraudulent tax returns. If you fail to report the incident to the IRS, the agency might charge you any fraudulent tax filings.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202