Using Us Passport As Evidence of Identity for Social Security Card

Apply for the Card Now

If you are looking at getting your social security card, then you want to make the process less of a hassle and quicker if possible. That way, instead of dreading spending hours in line just to be told you need more documents, you have everything you need. One of the biggest questions people often have is whether they can use their passport as proof of identity. Here is what you should know:

Can You Use Your Passport as Evidence of Identity for Your Social Security Card?

If you are considering using US passport as evidence of identity for social security card then you are not alone. Many people try to do this very thing. The good news is that yes, you can use it as proof of your identity.

However, there is more to equation than that. You also need to understand that your passport is not the only document that will provide you with proof of identification. In addition, there are other documents that can be used.

Also, your passport can be used for more than just your proof of identification, so bringing it along is handy during the entire social security process. Finally, know that while it would be convenient if you could use your passport as your only document to get your social security card, the social security offices demand more than that. They need to see at least two pieces of documentation that satisfy all of the criteria between them.

Other Documentation that Can Prove Your Id

There are actually other documents that can prove your identification as well. Therefore, be sure to bring at least one other document along in case there are any errors with your passport. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry.

You can use your driver license, non driving id, or even your employee id card. In addition, hospital insurance cards, military ids, and school ids are often accepted as proof of your identity. However, beware that these have limited use and are often not accepted for other parts of the process, such as proving citizenship.

Using Your Passport for Age Proof

Your age must be proved by bringing your birth certificate to the social security office near you. However, that is only if your birth certificate exists. If it does not, then you can provide other documentation such as school, military, hospital, and employment records. These should show where you lived and support your story of why you do not already have your social security number or card currently.

In order to prove your age, your document must have four items all meeting the standards of the government. It must be current, it must include a recent photograph, it must list your age, and it must list your name to be accepted.

Using Your Passport for Proof of Citizenship

Your passport is the best document to use to prove your citizenship. The other one you can use is your birth certificate. Either of these will qualify. And again, if you have both, then you have everything you need for this process. But remember, they must be current.

Expired documents of any kind are not going to be accepted during the process. So if you try to bring them, you will only encounter disappointment. The best bet is to check your documents now and ensure that they are current. If not, order new ones so that you don’t have to delay getting your social security card any longer.

Applying Online: Is it Possible?

If you are under 12, then you fall under a special class. In this case, you can apply online. However, anyone over 12 will need to show up to their appointment in person. This is to prevent any cases of mistaken identity.

When it comes to getting your social security card, it is often a process that you don’t look forward to. However, the reward on the other side is more than worth it. Once you understand what documents you actually need, then you can stop worrying and start having confidence that you will have everything you need to get through it quickly and easily. So bring your passport and get ready to go.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202