Social Security Card Required Documents for Evidence of Migration Status

Apply for the Card Now

Whether you lived outside of the U.S., were a foreign born citizen, or are a migrant in any other aspect, getting your social security card can be a challenge. However, with the right documents and preparation, it is quite easy. Here is what you need to remove the frustration from the process:

Documents Required to Prove Migration Status for Social Security Cards

The first thing to understand about Social Security Card Required Documents for Evidence of Migration Status is that you cannot use photocopies or notarized copies. You must have an official copy from the agency that issued the document. This is to prevent any kind of counterfeit operation that may be going on with these documents.

Therefore, if you have extra documents lying around that you use for your personal backups, that is fine. However, keep those with you as you travel for security reasons. Do not attempt to use them in this process of getting your social security card. That being said, here are the various things you need to provide proof of in order to verify your migration status and get your card:


It is important to try and locate your birth certificate if it is available. That is because the agency will require this if it exists. If you don’t have it, you may need to go through extra trouble to prove different documents are in fact viable.

Other documents that can be provided without a birth certificate are religious records that were made before you were 5, hospital records, or your passport. However, keep in mind that different age requirements are also included in getting your card as a migrant.

Special Documentation

If you are over the age of 12, you will have to appear in person to the interview. In addition, you will need to provide various documents that prove why you do not have a social security card at the moment. These documents include a current or expired passport, school records, or employment records. These must indicate that you did in fact live out of the U.S. for an extended period of time and have a valid reason for not having a social security number.

If, however, you have lived within the U.S. for an extended period of time, then you need to provide different documents. You will need your tax information or your school information. If you do not have these, then it might not be possible to get your social security card.


Documents that can prove your identity are the most important part of this process for a migrant. After all the government needs to know that you are who you say you are. Otherwise, you could simply create a new id anytime.

The records you provide must include a recent photo, information about your age or date of birth, and your name. The documents that can be accepted this case are your passport, driver’s license, or non driver id issued by your current state.

However, in some circumstances, you may be able to provide other kinds of documentation. These documents still need to include the same information as the other ones. However, you can use a military id, school id, health insurance id, or employee id instead.

Using Multiple Id's

It might seem like you are able to use one document for all of these requirements. For instance, some people think they can just use their passport for everything. while this would be convenient, it is not the case.

In fact, you can use your passport to satisfy any of the requirements above, even multiple requirements like age or name. However, you need at least two documents. For example, you could use a birth certificate and passport, or a license and a passport. The key is to have at least two of these documents on hand when you visit the offices.

Getting the right information about your migration status and social security card doesn’t need to be difficult. If you have the right information upfront, you can make the process much easier on yourself. As a result, it will go faster as well. So don’t feel overwhelmed. Follow the simple advice above and enjoy your social security card sooner rather than later.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202