Using Form F-1 or M-1 as Required Document for Evidence of Migration Status

Apply for the Card Now

Anyone who is a non-citizen of the U.S. and intends to obtain a Social Security card must appear in person at a Social Security Administration (SSA) office. While there, the applicant must use original documents to prove age, identity, immigration status and work eligibility. It’s important for prospective applicants to understand that all documents must be originals or certified copies of originals. Second, each applicant must submit a special form called SS-5 in addition to the documents required for establishing age, identity, immigration status and work eligibility.

The SS-5 is a sort of cover sheet to contains essential information for your file. The SS-5 must be filled out in an error-free fashion in order to make things go smoothly during your visit to the SSA office. With the SS-5 and all the required, original documents in hand, you will be able to apply for a Social Security card.

Required Document for Evidence of Migration Status: Using Form F-1 or Form M-1

In addition to demonstrating migration, or immigration, status, applicants must have enough original documentation to prove their age, their work eligibility and their identity. For the purposes of establishing migration status, there is not a form called the F-1 or the M-1. Instead, F-1 and M-1 are statuses bestowed upon visiting students who are allowed to work, under certain circumstances, while they are in the U.S. temporarily.

The way it works is this: Non-citizens can apply for SS cards but must document the four noted categories mentioned above. One of those categories is “immigration/migration status.” To document your immigration status when you are a visiting M-1 or F-1 student, you can show the Social Security Administration your Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status, also known as Form I-20.

Advantages of Using a Professional Application Service

Professional filing services like can assist applicants who want to make certain that they have all the necessary documents with them before heading to the Social Security office. This includes original documents to establish identity, age, immigration status, and eligibility to work in the U.S.

An experienced application service can save people a lot of time by helping them to correctly fill out the SS-5 form before going to the SS office. This is an immense help for applicants who are unsure how to approach the form. It’s also a big advantage to know exactly which original documents to take to the Social Security office. With the help of a professional application service, like, people wanting to obtain Social Security cards will not have to waste time at the SS office. Application Filing service is not affiliated with the SSA and they offer free forms by visiting them directly.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202