Using Form i-551 as Required Document for Evidence of Migration Status

Apply for the Card Now

People who are applying for a Social Security card for the first time, if they are over the age of 12, will need to appear at a Social Security Administration (SSA) office in person, bring the required documents, answer some questions during a live interview, and submit an SS-5 “cover form” to the officials at the SSA office.

In all, applicants who are not U.S. citizens and who are applying for their first-ever SS card (and number) will need to demonstrate four things, in addition to sitting for the interview:

1. Work eligibility
2. Age
3. Identity
4. Immigration status

The SSA will usually accept one or two documents (originals only!) as proof of all four of those categories. For example, a foreign passport can be used to substantiate age and identity, while the I-551 form can prove eligibility to work and immigration status. Usually, a non-U.S. citizen can simply show a birth certificate (if it’s available), a passport and the I-551 form.

Required Document for Evidence of Migration Status: Using Form I-551

To prove immigration status, the SSA will accept a Form I-551, which is also known as a green card (even though they are no longer printed on green paper) or Lawful Permanent Resident Card. It’s important to know the difference between the I-551 and the so-called “work permit,” which is the I-766. In fact, either one of those documents is sufficient to prove immigration status to the SSA.

How to File Social Security Documents From Home

How to Simplify the Process

Applicants who nevertheless must appear in person at a SSA office should know that they’ll need to bring the exact forms required, an error-free Form SS-5 (which is the formal application for a SS card and number), and themselves.

If any of the documents are missing or incomplete, the applicant will be sent away without even being allowed to make a formal request for the SS card/number. How can a person streamline this process and avoid delays? The answer is this: enlist the assistance of a professional application service like to help you get the job done right the first time.

The experts at the service will not be able to sit in your place for the interview, but they can serve a vital function. They will help you gather the right documents, fill out the SS-5 form exactly right, and can make sure you know where to go for your personal interview.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202