Using Form i-766 as Required Document for Evidence of Migration Status

Apply for the Card Now

When the Social Security Administration (SSA) asks non-citizens for proof of evidence of migration status, applicants can use Form I-766 in those situations. In most cases, whenever a non-citizen applies for a Social Security number, that person must provide numerous documents to the SSA.

It’s not enough, when applying for a new Social Security card as a non-citizen, to simply provide the I-766. The SSA requires that you appear in person and give evidence of immigration status, work eligibility, age and identity.

However, even though applicants for new Social Security cards might be able to provide originals of all the necessary documents, the SSA still required an in-person interview. During the interview, agents will review the documents, ask the applicant questions about their jobs, and perhaps delve into other areas of inquiry.

Anyone who holds a Form I-766 should be ready to appear in person at a local SSA office, provide originals of all required documents, answer questions, and perhaps wait in line upon arrival.

Required Document for Evidence of Migration Status: Using Form i-766

It’ always to the advantage of applicants to use a professional filing service, like, as a first step in any SSA procedure. Even when an in-person interview is needed, it is always helpful to have all the documents filled out correctly beforehand, to know exactly what documents to bring to the interview, and to have a general understanding of where to go, etc.

One of the crucial items that everyone needs when applying for a Social Security card is a form S-55. It is the basic “cover page” for all SS card applications, even for U.S. citizens. For holders of the I-766 form, the S-55 is part of the packet of forms needed to obtain a new SS card.

It is vital for applicants to remember that the Employment Authorization Document (also called an EAD, or “work permit”) is sufficient for proving identity, work eligibility and immigration status. In most cases, applicants must also prove their age by showing an original birth certificate. However, the SSA will sometimes accept a passport or other DHS-issued documents to prove age.

Getting Everything Right the First Time

Anyone who applies for a SS card for the very first time, and who is not a U.S. citizen will have to appear at the SSA office for a personal interview. But it is imperative to bring all original documents to the interview, as that is what the SSA requires.

It’s also a good idea to enlist the help of a professional filing agency in order to make sure that you have all the required documents, have filled out the S-55 correctly, and know where to go for the interview. The SSA is very picky about documentation, even though they will allow alternate documents in some cases.

Applicants who use a professional filing service will certainly have an advantage when it’s time to go to the SSA office and apply for a card. Using Form I-766 as required document for evidence of migration status will satisfy the SSA for this part of the application process.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202