Submitting Your SS-5 Social Security Card Application in Person

Apply for the Card Now

If you are looking to get your SS-5 social security card, then it can be large hassle. However, that is only the case if you are not armed with the right information to make it easier on yourself. Therefore, make sure you do not simply wing it. Have the right documents and be prepared to make the process easier by following this advice designed to make your experience better:

The first key part of submitting your social security application in person

Submitting your ss-5 social security card application in person needs to be done completely accurately. This means that there cannot be mistakes in the process. The first part of this to understand is that if you have made photocopies or gotten notarized copies of your documents, you will need to keep them aside for now.

It would be nice if you could simply make a copy and bring it into the office. The reality is that the social security office does not permit the use of copies that did not come from the agencies that originally created the documents themselves. You will need to obtain the originals. This is not as difficult as it sounds.

However, it could take some time. So be sure to leave room in your timing for this to arrive in the mail, or you could be disappointed by the inability to get your social security card as soon as you wanted it.


The first, and most important, part of this process, is proving your identity. There are only two documents that will qualify this part of the process. You will either need your birth certificate or your U.S. passport. Even if you have a passport that is valid from another country, this will not satisfy the requirements.

Again, these cannot be copies. If they are, they need to be officially sent from the government agencies that issued them. It is best to locate your originals and keep them handy throughout this process. In fact, you will find that these two documents can be all you need.

Also keep in mind that you cannot use your passport or your birth certificate for the entire process. Both of them together will give you everything you need. One can qualify for different parts of the process. But at the end of the day, you have to have two different pieces of documentation. This is to ensure that the government can continue to prevent fraud at the appropriate pace.


Your birth certificate is required to verify your age if it exists. Therefore, even if you have a passport or other form of id that could qualify to verify your age, it will not be accepted if you have a birth certificate.

However, you do still have other options if you do not have a birth certificate. This includes your passport, a religious document (if it was made before you were 5 years old), or a hospital document. Also keep in mind that people who were born out of the U.S. must prove why they were not in the U.S.

In this case, the documents above can help explain why that is. You might also need to produce employee documents or school documents. This will show where you lived and demonstrate why you don’t already have a social security card.


There are three items you must have for a proper piece of id. The first is a photo that is current. The second is that the document is valid and not expired. The third is that it describes your age and your date of birth. If it has all of these things, then it can qualify as your proof of identity. Your passport is the preferred document for this proof.

Getting your SS-5 social security card is a big step. It allows you do to enjoy a lot of the benefits that you were once missing out on as a U.S. citizen. However, it is not something that will happen easily if you try to get around the laws that exist. The agency will demand certain types of documents in order to process your paperwork. So be sure to follow the advice above without straying.

Legal Information: USA Filing Services LLC is a third party agent that processes and facilitates the social security card request process making it easier for our customers to change names on a social security card or assist with getting a new social security card or replacement social security card there is a one time document processing service fee of $39.00 (USD) and our additional services offered exclusively for all social security card processing can only be found here. Please note that this service is available for free if you file yourself directly through the social security offices in person. Why wait in line and file with multiple agencies and/or companies when we'll help you update everything from one online application? Save time and money by utilizing our services. USA filing Services LLC acts as an authorized agent for users wishing to file their social security card application, new, updates, renewals and replace social security card. The accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the user. Please note that your access to and use of change USA Filing Services LLC is subject to additional terms and conditions. Please allow up to 7-10 days for completion. Getting a new social security card isn't difficult if you know how to get a new social security card and change name on social security card ©2014 USA Filing Services LLC All rights reserved.

Refund Policy: 30 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you're unsatisfied with our filing services for any reason simply click on the cancel order link you will receive after your order or simply contact us via the contact information found directly below.
Please note: Online check payments can not be refunded.

Contact Us: Live chat via during normal business hours or E-mail us for a quick response 24/7 at or by phone from 9AM to 8PM (EST) Monday Through Sunday at (707) 948-6245

USA Filing Services, LLC
1335 Main St. Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45202