Form SS 5
You have to apply for a new social security card using a Form SS 5 whenever certain circumstances change in your life. To get this new card, you will need to fill out a government form known as Form SS 5 and submit it alongside two supporting documents.
The supporting documents are necessary to prove your age, citizenship status and identity in order to verify your Form SS 5
There are some specific situations that may compel you to apply for a fresh social security card or replace it. The situations include:
- If you have never had an SSA before, maybe because your guardians didn’t get one for you, and you presently need one as a prerequisite to getting a job.
- You’ve lost the social security card you had before, or it is too damaged to use.
- You’ve changed your name because of a divorce, marriage or any other reason, and you need a new social security that bears your new name.
- Your citizenship status has changed- in that you might have moved from being a legal resident (holding green card status) to being a U.S. citizen.
- Your present card has some clerical errors, for example, a wrong birth date on your social security card or a misspelling of your name.
- You adopted or gave birth to a child and you want to get him a card so that you may claim that the child is a dependent of your tax return, open a bank account in their name as well as execute a host of other tasks that need a child to possess a social security number.
- You are in charge of a dependent adult and, therefore, you need to get a social security card so as to be able to obtain the government benefits for the dependents. A social security card may also help the dependents learn how to manage their finances.
But how do you apply for a social security card via Form SS-5?
It doesn’t matter the reason you are seeking a social security card, you will have to, at some point, go the old-fashioned way to get it.
You will need to fill out form SS-5 and mail it together with the supporting documents to the nearest social security office. You may take them there in person as well.
It is worth noting that though you will find Form SS 5 online, and though you can fill out on the computer, there is no way you can submit the form online. In other words, there is virtually no way you can apply for a social security card online.